Sunday 19 February 2012

Allow me to introduce you to my best friend, my iPod...


In 2003, my boyfriend (who would later become my husband) returned from a working trip to the USA with a small silver box that he said would change the future of music.

Of course, being the sceptic I am I completely ignored his claims and despite his constant praise of the tiny device and the increasing frequency with which I spied these little gadgets, I refused to buy into the industry hysteria. Instant access to millions of tracks dating back years and the death of the high street record shop, what a joke!

Fast forward a few years and I have to confess I did succumb to the digital music revolution, the inclusion of video proving too greater a lure for my fickle heart to resist.

These days my iPod and I are inseparable, we go everywhere and do everything together. I'd rather sacrifice my right arm than my iPod and that's because it's not just a music and video player or a portable internet device. My iPod contains the soundtrack to my life, every piece of music that has touched, moved or inspired me (and the memories which these songs conjure up) lives within it, but more than that; my iPod is part of my future.

Every time I listen to a track, wherever I am in the world, I'm not only remembering the first time I heard that song or the way it made me feel, but I'm creating a new memory of whatever I'm doing at that time, thereby creating more memories to be recalled in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment